Did you know that SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY (SBS) was created by American Express in 2010 and launched on November 27, 2010? The idea was to encourage shoppers to visit their local small businesses. In 2011, the United State Senate passed a resolution to make SBS official and elected officials in every single state championed SBS as well as President Obama. By 2014, it is estimated that 14.3 billion dollars were spent that day shopping at small businesses. By 2015, 95 million people went out to shop at small businesses on SBS.
According to Entrepreneur Magazine there are between 25 million and 27 million small businesses in the U.S. that account for 60 to 80 percent of all U.S. jobs.
Here comes SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY this coming weekend the 26th. How can a small business leverage that day?
- The customers will come naturally but it’s not too late to host a pop-up open house how about a complimentary glass of apple cider or mulled wine.
2. Create a holiday special for your regular customers. Give a bounce back coupon if they return within a week they get $5.00 off next purchase.
3. Host a special on a Monday each week.
4. Start the 12 Days of Christmas sale – feature a different item with a reduced price on twelve different days before Christmas day.
5. Sell gift cards on SBS – buy $50 card for $45 one day only.
6. Introduce a special that includes other businesses, if you buy something at xyz business you get 10% off something at another business.
7. How about in 2017 you launch a product of the month to drive folks into your business. (beer of the month, coffee of the month, cheese of the month) give your customers something to look forward to.
8. Host a charity event at your business, raise dollars for your favorite cause.
9. Always utilize social media to promote what’s happening at your small biz.
SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY, it’s this weekend in your town, and it’s waiting for you to leverage this National day to make sure that something new and exciting is happening for your customers who have been directed through marketing to SHOP SMALL.
Carol is a Motivational Speaker, Executive Coach, Fundraising Strategist, Social Media Quarterback and Small Business Advisor. She is Lehigh Valley’s sought after consultant who assists organizations with results driven growth. Her strategies can be easily adapted to a for profit or non-profit environment. Carol specializes in high impact leadership, million dollar fundraising, smash the box marketing, and creating word of mouth epidemics for her clients. Visit Carol’s website at www.caroltalks.com and “LIKE” Carol at Caroltalks on Facebook. Carol S. Ritter, Past President, National Speakers Association Philadelphia and past board chair for St. Luke’s University Hospital Visiting Nurses Association & Hospice.