“Clients do not come first. Employees come first. If you take care of your employees they will take care of your customers. So simple, so common sense and it works. Richard Branson. An unhappy employee could literally ruin your business.
Just got a cup of coffee at a local premium coffee shop. A customer walked up and said, “Do you have orange juice?” The employee said, “No, I’m sorry we don’t.” The customer orders lemon cake, two slices. But the employee tells her they only have one slice left. The customer replies, “You don’t have my orange juice and I see two lemon slices.” The employee explains that those are sample slices and they can’t sell them. The customer continues, “I can’t believe you don’t have my orange juice.” The employee says, “I’m so sorry, I will let the management know and make sure we have it next time.” “Thanks, I’ll have a water.” Do you see how this employee was continuously apologizing, trying to fix the problem, and being so polite in the process. HAPPY HIGHLY TRAINED EMPLOYEE, right here.
Your employees are your lifeline, treat them like gold. Remember that saying, “Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other’s gold?” That is so true. I might change it to – make new employees but keep the old one is silver but the other gold.
I learned a long time ago when I coached softball that your parents will act like you act and their children will act like the parents and the coach. Be a coach it can be contagious.
Five Let’s Take Care of our Staff Ideas….
- Teach your staff that when a new employee comes on board to do everything to help them be successful.
2. An employer can be too focused on cash flow, a coach is all about people — be a coach
3. Show appreciation for good work well done
4. IMPORTANT – WHEN AN EMPLOYEE MAKES A MISTAKE TEACH THEM HOW TO NOT MAKE IT AGAIN, DO NOT BELITTLE OR CRITICIZE or BULLY!
5. I’ve worked for bullies, it doesn’t work. When you bully people they will find a way to get back at you most of the time, insidiously.
6. When employees are committed and happy, your customers will LOVE YOU! Employees Come First!
Carol serves as a featured writer for the Home News. Carol is an accomplished professional speaker, coach and educational consultant specializing in innovative leadership, outrageous fundraising, million dollar marketing, and building organizational alliances throughout the country. Carol’s creative leadership provides bullet proof ideas for recruiting MORE MEMBERS, MORE MONEY AND BETTER LEADERS to your team. www.caroltalks.com 610-442-4545 firstname.lastname@example.org Like Carol on Caroltalks and CarolCoaches! Carol S. Ritter, Past President, National Speakers Association Philadelphia and St. Luke’s University Hospital Visiting Nurses Association & Hospice.